Thursday, September 25, 2008

My brother and I went took a 600+ mile road trip last weekend and I wanted to share some of our glorious experiences.

The picture on the left was taken in far North Michigan just as the sun was rising. Donald and I had been driving for a long, long time by this point. Seeing the absolute splendor of God's creation was so validating. Just that sunrise made the trip more than worth it.

When we got to Sleeping Bear dunes, five and a half hours later, we were both exhausted and relatively moody. It was sprinkling, despite the forecast that had predicted a sunny day. I admit, I had a bad attitude about the situation. We drove around and, after a little confusion, found the Empire Bluffs trail head. I begrudgingly followed Donald up the path. It didn't take long for my mood to improve. We were the only ones on the secluded trail and, as we walked, the sun started streaming through the colorful leaves.

Nothing prepared us for the view that greeted us when we came out of the forest. We emerged on top of a mountain of sand and rock that overlooked some of the most beautiful water I'd ever seen. Water that went on forever. The sky was so blue that there was no true horizon between it and Lake Michigan. Pure bliss :)

Traverse City, Michigan was also a delight. I loved walking down Front Street and seeing the bay peeking through the spaces between the restaurants and shops.

On the drive home, all I could think about was the perfection with which God has wrought together His creation. I am so thankful I got to experience it in such a setting, and that I've been blessed with a brother to share that experience with.

I read this verse in Isaiah 40 for the first time the day we returned from our adventure. What a wonderful mental image this conjures up :)
Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, and marked off the heavens by a span, enclosed the dust of the earth in a measure, and the mountains in scales, the hills in a balance?

Happy living, friends :)
Kathryn Elizabeth

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for
the card! its beautiful!!
it made my day. we are
in traverse city this
weekend and are going
to sleeping bear this
afternoon! wish we'd
been here the same
weekend :) love you!